San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services OFFICE OF DIVERSITY AND EQUITY INTERNSHIP PROGRAM Application Due Monday, July 9, 12:00PM PST, 2018
________________________________________ About the Office of Diversity & Equity The San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) Office of Diversity and Equity (ODE) is dedicated to addressing health disparities, health inequities and stigma in the areas of mental health and substance use, and supporting wellness and recovery among underserved, unserved, and inappropriately served communities in San Mateo County. ODE works to achieve these goals by promoting cultural humility and competence, which are rooted in principles of social justice. To learn more about ODE’s work, visit www.smchealth.org/bhrs/ODE.
About the Internship Program The ODE Internship Program is designed to provide work opportunities and practical learning experience for undergraduate and graduate students in order to enhance their academic preparation and expose them to public service at the county level. For the 2018-2019 internship program, we are looking to hire 2 interns.
All interns will have the opportunity to support the Office of Diversity and Equity (across programs) and participate in a Health Equity Initiative. Each intern will work in one of the three areas below. For each area, sample tasks are listed below.
1. Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) (Adult Mental Health First Aid | Youth Mental Health First Aid) a. Support outreach & communication of MHFA trainings for adults & youth b. Support implementation & evaluation of MHFA trainings for adults & youth c. Support logistics and evaluation of behavioral health trainings
2. Parent Project (PP)| Health Ambassador Program (HAP) a. Assist with outreach, planning and data entry for PP and HAP courses (including evening classes and graduation) b. Contribute communication content about PP and HAP through blogs, newsletters, social media posts and website updates c. Support logistics and evaluation of behavioral health trainings
3. Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI) Initiatives (Stigma Discrimination Reduction | Suicide Prevention | Student Mental Health) a. Contribute communication content of above three PEI Initiatives through blogs, newsletters, social media posts and website updates. b. Enter and analyze data of our Be the One (anti-stigma campaign), Mental Health Awareness Month events, and other PEI programs, initiatives and events c. Support Mental Health Services Act implementation of PEI programs d. Support logistics and evaluation of behavioral health trainings
4. Digital Storytelling a. Assist with implementation, website and other outreach materials for Digital Storytelling Workshop
Qualifications Required To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following requirements: • Undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in an accredited college or university. Recent graduates (up to one year after graduation) are also eligible. • Available to work 20 hours per week from the week of September 6, 2018 to the week of June 29, 2019. • NOT a current employee of San Mateo County.
Desired We would strongly prefer a candidate with the following qualities: • Passion for advancing equity, wellness and recovery for culturally diverse and underserved communities • Personal experience with or knowledge of inequities related to mental health or substance use conditions • Experience working with culturally diverse and underserved communities • Multi-cultural and multilingual skills • Strong communication and interpersonal skills • Strong organizational and detail- oriented skills • Ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments • Ability to work well in teams and independently • Ability to offer flexible working hours
Term and Stipend This ODE Internship runs from September to June and is paid through a stipend ($5,000) funded by the Mental Health Services Act. Interns must commit to working 20 hours per week from the week of September 6, 2018 to the week of June 29, 2019.
How to Apply Complete and submit the following required documents to Community Health Planner Karin Herndon at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 9, 12:00PM PST, 2018. 1. Cover letter 2. Resume 3. Application (see page 3) 4. Supplemental questions (see page 4)
Only completed applications will be reviewed. Please contact us if you do not receive a confirmation from us that we received your application.
Timeline Date Key June 11, 2018 Application Posted July 9, 2018 12:00PM PST Applications Deadline July 11,2018 Interviews and Reference Contact Begins July 18, 2018 Notification of Selection Begins Week of September 6, 2018 Start Date Week of June 29, 2019 End Date
San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Office of Diversity and Equity INTERNSHIP APPLICATION Submit to Karin Herndon at email@example.com by Monday, July 9, 12:00PM PST, 2018
Telephone Number E-mail Address Status (select one) ? Current Student Year (1st, 2nd, etc): _____
? Recent Graduate (up to one year from graduation) Graduate Date: _____ Educational Institution College/University:
Are you available to work 20 hours per week from the week of September 6, 2018 to the week of June 29, 2019? ? Yes
? No What days and hours will you be able to work during the week (Monday – Friday)? Is this internship a requirement for the completion of a practicum, certificate or degree? (select one) ? Yes. Hours required:
? No How did you hear about the ODE Internship Program? ? School Career Services ? Web Search ? Word of Mouth ? Other _____ References Please provide information on two references including name, phone number, e-mail address, organization, relationship and how long known. Reference 1:
San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Office of Diversity and Equity INTERNSHIP SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS Submit to Karin Herndon at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 9, 12:00PM PST, 2018
Please limit your answers to 300 words or less for each of the two questions.
1) Please describe how you meet one or more of the following desired qualifications:
a. Passion for advancing equity, wellness and recovery for culturally diverse and underserved communities
b. Personal experience with or knowledge of inequities related to mental health or substance abuse
2) Please pick one internship area. The internship areas are described in more detail on page 1. Please also explain your preference below.
a. Pick one internship area.
___ Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)/Parent Project (PP)| Health Ambassador Program (HAP)
___ Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI) Initiatives |Storytelling Program.