The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is seeking an Associate Director of State Communications to help develop and implement communications strategies, write and edit media relations materials, and coordinate other communications assistance in support of state and local policy advocacy campaigns. Responsibilities include coordinating the full array of communications tools and tactics, including media relations materials and events, advertising, action-oriented websites and social media. Candidates should be strong writers and offer experience in policy-oriented or political campaigns. This position reports to the Director of State Communications.
- Participate in meetings and phone calls to develop and implement communications strategies and provide ongoing communications assistance to state and local policy advocacy communications, working in coordination with the Director of State Communications, Regional Advocacy Directors and state/local coalitions.
- Draft, edit and distribute media relations materials, including press releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, editorial board memos and event talking points.
- Help organize press conferences and other media events.
- Conduct media outreach and field media calls regarding state/local activities and issues. Arrange interviews with appropriate staff and state/local campaign spokespeople and provide requested information to the media.
- Manage development of advertising, including work of advertising agencies.
- Coordinate the work of staff and outside vendors in providing other communications assistance to state and local campaigns, including action-oriented websites, digital mobilization efforts, phone programs and social media.
- Assist with state and district press events and other communications activities in support of federal advocacy efforts
- Coordinate activities with partner organizations, working closely with their communications staffs.
- Help manage production of satellite media tours.
- Draft and update website materials related to state and local initiatives and work with web team to keep relevant sections of the website updated.
- Participate in CDC media calls to track upcoming research and other activities.
- Stay current about tobacco control issues, advocacy campaigns and key messages.
- Identify potential news hooks and develop strategies and materials to achieve media coverage.