The Office of Epidemiology, Division of Surveillance and Investigation at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of COVID-19 Data Analyst. This individual will be a member of the enhanced/syndromic surveillance team supporting COVID-19 data analysis and surveillance activities with a primary focus on emergency department and urgent care data. 1) Analyze syndromic surveillance data reported by emergency department and urgent care facilities as part of VDH’s COVID-19 surveillance efforts.
2) Develop and prepare content for routine and ad hoc COVID-19 reports using syndromic surveillance data for distribution to state and local health department staff.
3) Support the management of syndromic surveillance data COVID-19 dashboards using Tableau and Virginia’s syndromic surveillance system ESSENCE.
4) Participate in the development, ongoing evaluation, and revision of syndromic surveillance definitions for COVID-19 in partnership with subject matter experts.
5) Support special surveillance and data quality projects for COVID-19 and other public health events as requested, to include but not limited to, using syndromic surveillance data from ESSENCE to enhance COVID-19 case data collected in Virginia’s disease reporting system VEDSS, and improving case identification of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C).
6) Stay informed on national COVID-19 syndromic surveillance practices and resources through participation in the National Syndromic Surveillance Program Community of Practice (NSSP CoP).
7) Assist in emergency preparedness and epidemiology response efforts as needed during public health events.